What is NILS?
The No Interest Loan Scheme offers people on low incomes the opportunity to access credit for an essential item without any fees, charges or interest payments.
Loans are for one item at a time and are for a maximum of $1,000.
As loans are repaid, the money is lent out to other members of the community to utilise this service.
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible to make an application for a No Interest Loan if the below applies:
- Centrelink Payment/Health Care Card or are on a low income
- You have lived in your current accommodation for least 3 months
- You are a resident of the City of Knox
- You can establish your willingness and capacity to repay a loan
How do I repay the loan ? How much do I pay back to one time?
The amount you repay is set according to the size of the loan and your capacity to make repayments.
Repayments are set up through Centrelink My Gov. Loan repayments are usually spread over 12 to 18 months.
What can the loan be used for?
Generally loans are used for the following but please ring to see if what you require qualifies.
- Washing Machines
- Health aids
- Household furniture
- Car registration/car repairs (limited number)
How do you apply for a NILS?
You can apply on your own behalf for a loan. Please call us to confirm your eligibility and if so to be sent an information pack.
Alternatively you may print out the forms below and complete.
- NILS Interview Checklist
- NILS Loan Application Form
- NILS Budget Assessment Form
- NILS Rights and Responsibilities
Please ensure that you have all documentation completed before contacting Knox Infolink for an appointment.